Wednesday, March 20, 2013


Yesterday I was replanting my cucumbers and the rest of the tomatoes. Some of them are quite overgrown.
I know, it is supposed to be knitting blog, but it is spring and all bets are off.




Clean table.
I replanted  Red Cherry tomatoes, Heirloom Red and Yellow tomatoes, tomatillos, all my crazy cucumbers( I think Armenian is really overgrown or it do not  have enough sun) and Chinese Lantern. I also started seedlings of Nasturtium- my mom's favorite flower.

 
This is how I grow my greens.



 

 I have two shelves with Swiss Chard, two with Sorrel, one with Kale and one with Spinach. I read about growing plants in soil bags in a gardening book. We have very strong winds in the Spring and harsh burning sun during the Summer, I hoped that the mesh screen will help.

My husband came up with the idea of the shelving system.

This is how it looked last summer. I learned many pros and cons about this system last summer, so this year choice of greens reflects last year experience.  And of course my husband wants to improve the design and build new shelves.  I think he just wants an excuse to buy more tools.


 
Have a happy gardening!
 

1 comment: